Sleep can be one of the most bewildering challenges for parenthood. Your newborn baby cries and does not sleep and you’re fighting sleepless nights comforting and feeding your baby. It is a tough situation for parents when their baby goes off a much-needed snooze. Well, toddlers are unable to communicate! So they have no other significant way to express their problems to you. All they usually do is crying as a result of experiencing insufficient nap.
Generally, a newborn sleeps up to 16 to 17 hours a day and their sleeping patterns & sleeping hours change at different phases. Very usually parents are faced with the nagging issue their child do not getting enough sleep. Being a child professional, I’ll delve into several reasons you should know why a newborn won’t sleep. These reasons will help you find solutions to overcome the sleep issues of your toddler.
SLEEPING ISSUES AND SOLUTIONS
As each baby is different, what could work for one child might not work for yours. So adapt the solution that fits your situation. If it does not work, explore more and more till you get it right.
In this section you will be able to recognize the reasons that prevent your baby from sleeping and the solutions for the same.
1) Your baby might be hungry
Sometimes you do not feed your baby adequately as his/her body demands. The breastfed and formula-fed babies should be fed before taking them to bed.
- You should feed your baby with small and frequent doses, in every 4 hours and sometimes even in 2-3 hours in case of newborns.
- If your baby is breastfed, he or she is more likely to get hungry again due to faster digestion of breast milk. So make sure you maintain a proper schedule, especially before you go to bed.
For more breastfeeding tips, you can watch this video
Bottom Line: WHO & UNICEF recommends optimal feeding for infants up to 6 months as it helps in proper development of the child.
2) Your baby is over exhausted
Do not let your child get hyperactive by any toy, stimulating noise or environment, as it will not let them sleep. The consequence of such habits may lead to improper sleeping patterns which will prevent him/her from sleeping. This is one basic reason you should know why newborn won’t sleep.
- Make sure your baby takes a nap after 2-3 waking hours.
- Maintain a calm and relaxed environment.
- A proper massage or singing a lullaby will make him/her feel relaxed.
To determine if your baby is over-exhausted, watch this video
Bottom Line: For newborns, sleep helps in the mental and physical development and also on the regeneration of cells.
3) They might be ill or in pain
Babies during the growth phase, undergo several stages like teething.
Teething is irksome and may cause restlessness, abdomen aches, irritation and sleeping disorders. Children really struggle during this phase. Sometimes babies may experience digestion related issues. So while figuring out the reason, keep the stage of your child under consideration.
- Teething powders, containing Camilia can be really helpful.
- Teething toys to chew on and certain medicines can help.
- Rub your baby’s gums and try to keep them cool.
- If you suspect any illness, consult your doctor
To know if teething is the reason why your newborn don’t sleep, this video will explain more
Bottom Line: Teething helps in nutrition and speech development. So be aware of your baby’s teeth plan.
4) Sleeping habits like Rocking
Some parents use sleeping props like Rocking or singing lullaby. So your child sleeps and wakes up soon because you’ve taught him to rely on that “sleep prop”.
- Do not use any props to make your baby calm, especially while making him/her sleep.
- If your child has become habitual to these sleeping props, try to start decreasing their use.
This video will help training your baby sleep through a night.
Bottom Line: The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages parents to make sure their children develop good sleep habits right from the start.
5) Change in sleeping pattern
Generally, all babies go through changes as they get older, so try to be aware of any changes they are making in their routine, or try to adjust your routine accordingly. Any disturbance in their sleeping pattern will disturb their cycle and lead to insomnia.
- If the baby starts waking up at 5 am instead of 8, try to adjust their cycle by making them sleep early.
- Try to give assurance of your presence and sleep with your baby during this stage.
Bottom Line: irregular sleeping pattern may affect baby’s brain efficiency.
This video will help you to adjust the schedule of your child.
These are the basically encountered reason you should know why newborn born won’t sleep. If you found this article helpful to understand the sleep related issues of your baby, do share your experience with us in the comments section.
- What is the Best Co-Sleeper for Your Baby? Top 7 Options
- The Best baby Rocker sleeper in the Market
- What’s In The Best Mattress For Toddler Twin Bed?
- What are the Best Overnight Diapers for Heavy Wetters on the Market today? – Find Out Here