According to Dr. Axe, coconut oil is a mix of Capric acid, Caprylic acid, Decanoic acid, Lauric acid, Myristic acid, Palmitic acid, Oleic acid besides others. The reasons why use coconut oil for babies skin is that there are rare substances found in nature that enrich this oil. For example, the chemical structure of Lauric acid makes it easy for the skin to absorb it. Once absorbed, it morphs to monolaurin, an organic compound found in breast milk. Monolaurin is found in coconut oil and milk too and has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. Besides, coconut oil is rich in linoleic acid, phenolic acid, iron, vitamin K, and E.
According to Parenting Healthy Babies, with all the enrichment stated above coconut oil is the obvious choice to use.
Here are further reasons You Should use coconut oil for babies skin,
- Baby Acne: Coconut oil has antibacterial properties due to lauric acid. These make it ideal to use on the baby acne without the discomfort of the skin chapping and drying.
- Nappy rashes: This oil is a great cure for nappy rashes without the hazard of chemicals in the commercial creams. The antifungal and antibacterial properties lent by the various acids in the coconut oil.
- Body wash: You could use coconut oil with all these wonderful antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties to wash and wipe your baby. Make a homemade baby wash with equal parts coconut oil, castile soap (soap can be made at home with coconut oil) and water. You could add essential oils such as chamomile to sooth the skin, While lavender and tea tree bring the additional shield as they are antiviral and antimicrobials.
- Massage Oil: Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer, thus no dry patches for your baby. A massage can strengthen the bond between the parent and the baby; use the oil to massage your baby before bath daily. Besides, if your baby is cranky due to illness or other reasons, just massage the baby’s feet. Use a circular motion; make sure you rub the toes then the sides, the base and the center of the foot. Do this with a light touch till the baby has calmed down or fallen asleep.
Step by Step tutorial
The reasons why use coconut oil for babies’ skin are that you can be sure that there are no additives. Additives such as mineral oil or other chemicals that may be harmful to the babies’ skin. Make your coconut oil at home:
Here are the steps;
- Drain the coconut water: Get a few coconuts – about 6 – 12 in number. Crack open the coconuts to drain them of the water.
- Remove the kernel from the shell. You could pry the kernel loose and then grate it. Or scrape it off as shown in this video.
- Wash out all the milk: Now wash the grated coconut in water. Massage the grated coconut to wash all the coconut milk into the water. What remains behind is the fiber.
- Strain the fiber with a strainer. Squeeze out all the milk from the fiber. Sieve the milk into the container.
- Age overnight: Keep this milk in a cool dry place overnight. This causes the cream to separate from the water.
- Scoop the cream off the bowl with a strainer. Discard the residual liquid.
- Cook the cream for an hour until brown. The heat helps the oil separate from other solids in the milk.
- Cool and Filter: Cool the oil to lukewarm and then filter it for storage. It is cooled to make it safe for handling – you don’t want to be scalded. The lukewarm temperature also helps it flow through the filter. You could use a filter paper on a metal sieve or a muslin cloth. A dozen coconuts fetch you around 1.5 liters of pure unadulterated coconut oil.
According to Mom Junction, here are more reasons why use coconut oil for babies skin. If you are stepping out for an evening stroll with your baby coconut oil is a great insect repellent due to the phenolic acid. You can also use it to wash your baby’s mouth and protect the tender skin of the mouth from the harmful effects of chemicals. Massage the oil into your baby’s scalp and watch it grow a headful of thick beautiful hair. We also hope you found the tips and the video useful. Please share your comments in the section under the article and share this article with your friends to grow healthy beautiful babies.
- How to Choose The Best Baby Wipes for Sensitive Skin
- How to Find the Best Natural Diaper Rash Cream
- What are the Best Overnight Diapers for Heavy Wetters on the Market today? – Find Out Here
- Home Remedies for Diaper Rash
- – https://draxe.com/coconut-oil-uses/
- – https://parentinghealthybabies.com/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-babies-and-nursing-mothers/
- – http://naturalparentsnetwork.com/20-ways-to-use-coconut-oil-on-infants-and-children/
- – http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Coconut-Oil-for-Babies.html
- – http://www.momjunction.com/articles/benefits-of-using-coconut-oil-for-your-baby_00370340/#gref