While making the decision to use cloth diapers for your child is a very personal and unique one to make, the process and needs to change them isn’t all the different. But, it does take a little more time and preparation when it comes to having fresh and clean cloth diapers ready to go, which isn’t much of a surprise to most parents who go the route of cloth vs. disposable.
As a parent who chooses to join the cloth diaper revolution will see, taking on this long-term challenge has a unique set of pros and cons. But, some things aren’t that different and just like with parents who are using disposables, it’s still very important to have a way to keep things in order while traveling. This is why putting some time upfront into choosing the best diaper bag for cloth diapers will end up paying off and saving lots of time and hassle down the road.
Picking the Best Diaper Bag For Cloth Diapers Can Still Be Affordable
When it comes to choosing the type of diaper bag you need for supporting your cloth diaper lifestyle, most of what you’re looking for is priced inline with what any other parent would need, regardless of the type of diapers. Your diapers are just one of the many things you’ll need to carry with you, so as long as you have a good amount of room the rest is all pretty much the same.
This can vary a bit, but on average packing 3 cloth diapers are comparable to packing 10 disposables since the disposables are designed to be small, but expand when wet. This is much different than cloth diapers, which are already sized larger out of the box. You’ll also be quicker to change a cloth diaper and will swap them out as soon as your child soils them so you’ll need more on hand at any given time.
For Cloth Diapers, Bigger is Always Better
With all of this in mind, there lots of different versions and designs of diaper bags available so it’s good to keep a few things in mind if you’re planning on packing cloth diapers. First, like I already mentioned, traveling with cloth diapers will require more room. It’s not always convenient to lug around a diaper bag that’s large and in charge, but being prepared is key and having enough space will be totally worth it. Besides overall storage size, having the ability to organize and separate everything else you need will save you time and help you keep your sanity. More storage sections don’t always mean better, but having some flexibility is never a bad thing.
Other Important Things To Keep In Mind
Your diaper bag is there to make sure the trips outside of your house are as smooth as possible and the bells and whistles you want should fully support you and everything you need. If you’re someone who packs a lot of stuff just to be sure, then you need to find a bag that can take on your full list of must-haves. It’s up to you to find the best bag for cloth diapers and knowing what you need is your first step.
Does making sure that everything has it’s own, specific spot make you feel better? Well, then a bag with plenty of separated pockets will be your thing and that’s what you should pay most attention to. No matter your specific needs, choosing to go cloth is a lifestyle decision and you and your diaper bag are going to spend a lot of time together so it’s good to understand and buy what you really want.
The Top 5 Diaper Bags for Cloth Diapers Under $100
For these reviews, I’ve only included the best cloth diaper bags with a review of 4.5/5 or higher on Amazon. The goal of these reviews is to give you a good selection of affordable options that can take on the needs of handling cloth diapers as well as anything else you might need.
It’s also worth noting that these reviews don’t include wet bags, which in the world of cloth diapers are treated as a separate purchase and aren’t traditionally included in the design and purchase of diaper bags.
A fashionable diaper bag that will look good while making sure to have all of the bells and whistles any mom on the move requires.
- Over 15 patterns and designs available Doesn’t look like your normal diaper bag Detachable changing pad included
- Standard stroller straps Wipeable and washable fabric 6 pockets with plenty of room and flexibility
- Straps are thin and not heavily padded No insulation for the bottle pocket Interior pockets don’t stretch to fit different sizes
With a tough and sturdy backpack design, this roomy bag makes it easier to handle everything you need for a day out while being hands-free.
- A clean look with clean lines Comfortable backpack style with padded straps Insulated pocket big enough to fit two bottles Stroller straps included for easy attachment Clever and helpful details like spoon holders inside of large pocket Separate plastic bag included in design to hold wallet and other valuables
- Non-standard US wipes holder, but great for holding cell phone Zipper feels a little flimsy No changing pad included
This trendy looking travel bag is large and in charge and has more pockets than any other one on the list. A must-have for the overpacking cloth diaper momma.
- Great for overpackers or multiple kids Comfy shoulder strap included for easy travel Insulated and closed bottle pockets with magnetic closures 17 total pockets that make it easy to find what you need quickly Colored tabs to help remember what’s in each section Matching changing pad included BPA free
- Could be too big for carrying around Heavier than most diaper bags Washable, but takes a long time to dry Metal feet on the bottom can make it hard to balance on the ground
The unique military look of this bag can be intimidating, but it’s simplicity, flexibility, and durability helped it make our list and certify it as a dad’s favorite.
- Dad’s love the military theme Unique look for a diaper bag Plenty of external and internal pockets Handy key clip and external wipes holder Simplified and durable design that will last Matching changing pad included Unique modular system for adding additional accessories.
- Only military themed color options Moms might not like as much as dad Zippers feel cheap No insulated bottle holders
With a trendy and simplified design, this big bag has the size and all the bells and whistles while still staying fashionable.
- Plenty of size, but still lightweight Handy key finder clip Large internal storage plus several snapped pockets Insulated holder keeps bottle cool for 4+ hours Matching changing pad included Stain and water resistant
- At 18” wide, it can be too big for daily use Only a few simple design options with limited colors Doesn’t stand up well on its own
After going through all five of these great options, the one that really stands out and offers what any parent would need is the Ju-Ju Be Hello Kitty Diaper Bag. With a very unique and fun design that never goes out of style and plenty of storage, including insulated bottle holders and tabbed sections, it’s got everything that the best diaper bag for cloth diapers needs and more. It offers a lot of room, some say too much, but it will always have the space needed to carry as many cloth diapers and anything else required to take one or more children out for the day.